Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Introducing My Newest Addition...



This, ladies (and gentlemen?) is my newest toy. She's a Huskylock 560 ED serger. Gorgeous, isn't she? Guess. What. She was free. FREE!! This poor neglected baby belongs to my mother-in-law who has a ton of sewing potential, but just doesn't have time for it right now. So, I get to borrow this until she gets back in the sewing saddle. Which, as my husband pointed out, may very well be never. :) My MIL is kind of a hobby collector.

Have I mentioned that my in-laws used to own a quilt shop? They just closed it (in order to simplify their lives) in the last couple years. And guess what. She still has at least 100 bolts of fabric left over. All for the taking. Yes, I'm very, very spoiled. It's all quilter's cotton, of course. But fabric is fabric. She's happy to see it being put to good use, and I'm thrilled to be able to use it.

Anyway, on Sunday she showed me how to use the serger & I was able to thread it on the first try. She couldn't remember how it went, so I had to depend on the 2-d illustrations in the manual. It was way easier than I thought it would be.

And I've used it! See:


My hands were shaking & my heart was pounding as I serged. But it all turned out great. It will be enclosed in bias tape so it won't be seen from the outside, which is ok. One thing about this serger is that you can use regular ol' spools of thread--you just need 4 of them. :)

I was thisclose to buying a serger on Friday because, ugh. I just can't get the hang of finishing my seam allowances with a zig zag stitch (you can see some pre-serger finishing in the picture). It's pathetic. I know.

Now I feel like she needs a name. Speaking of which, so does my sewing machine.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm sure your serger will make finishing seams, and sewing knits much easier! Kudos to you for threading it first try. I have a serger I got for my bday that I used until one of the threads came out. You have motivated me to sit down and figure out how to thread it! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! A serger and unlimited quilting cotton? It's like a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...