Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Yet Another Sewing Investment...

I've been toying with investing in a rotary cutter & mat since....well, since I realized how horrible I am at using scissors. Really, it shouldn't have bee a surprise; sometimes cutting paper proves to be challenging.

Joann had all their cutting goodies for 40% off this weekend, so I went ahead & took the plunge. I bought the 23x70" mat (which is actually 2 mats that you join together), an ergonomic 45 mm Olfa cutter & 5 extra blades. Between this purchase & my recent sewing machine, I've invested a pretty penny on my sewing in recent weeks. I'm trying to view it as just that, though, an investment.

I used my new cutter & mat to cut out my skirt underlining for the Crepe & I loved it! Not only was the actual cutting part faster, but I didn't have to spend a lot of time pinning, I just put soup cans on the pattern to hold it in place.  My cut edges were nice & smooth instead of the usual jagged.

Definitely a worthwhile buy, if you ask me. So, how about you? Do you use scissors or a rotary cutter? What's your preference?

3 comments:

  1. I do both, but tend to only use the rotary cutter when I am doing straight edges with the ruler, otherwise they end up all wobbly. I am much better (and safer) with a pair or scissors lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liz. I too use both methods, but usually stick with scissors for cutting out patterns. But then again, my mat is not that big, so if space allowed for it, then I would try to cut my patterns with a small rotary cutter instead. It does make cutting lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love it. Don't think that this is just for quilters.
    I use it EVERY time I sew.
    Just like you did, I hold my pattern down with weights of some sort and use my rotary cutter to cut around the pattern.
    Barely use my sewing scissors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...