Thursday, May 12, 2011
Finished! Simplicity 2219
I'm ridiculously proud of this dress. Really. I set out to make a muslin & decided to use my $2.99 fabric from my stash. The fabric's print is pretty busy. Very busy. In hindsight, I wish I would have paid a little closer attention to the pattern of the bodice pieces, but it's ok. I can live with it. In fact, I declared it "wearable" and wore it out in public the other day. I even got complimented on it!
It all came together pretty quick, and the instructions were very straightforward. I cut an 8, a full size smaller than what I usually do, since I wanted to bodice to be nice & fitted. The skirt ended up being much too big, so I took the side seams in 1". The end result is fantastic.
I skipped hemming the sleeves, just because I could, but I used a double needle for the bottom hem with woolly nylon thread in the bobbin & it is very stretchy. I'll definitely be making that common practice from here on out. I was having a little trouble with tunneling at the hem, too, so I used light steam a seam & it worked wonders!
You can see my official pattern review here.