Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

So that's what polyester is.



Last week I ordered some fabric from Hancock's Fabric & it arrived on Friday. They were having a huge sale on fleece & so I picked some up. I also grabbed some 2 yards of a floral polyester that was on sale.

The "Black & Ivory Flowers on Fabric" really threw me for a loop. I was expecting something different. Something not so fancy. You know, something sort of like cotton. But not. In fact, the reason I even ordered it was because it wasn't cotton. I wanted to make myself a skirt.

The fabric I got is shiny. Smooth. Fancy, even (this coming from someone who has only worked with cottons thus far). It's beautiful. And it will make a lovely skirt-just not the one I had in mind. And google tells me that polyester is great for garments. But I think sewing this is going to be a challenge. It's silky. Slithery. This thread at Pattern Review should prove helpful when I do decide to sew it up.

Anyway, I guess this means I have a lot more to learn about fabrics. Perhaps another book is in order. At least now I know what polyester is.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how the polyester is to work with. I was going through my closet, looking at the fabric content of my clothes and many of them contain polyester. I think I'm destined to make a skirt out of polyester too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...