Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Finished! Burda 7866

Remember when I ran out of thread for my cardigan?? I went to Joann for 2 spools of thread. And only two spools of thread. But somehow I found myself at the check out line with 2 spools of thread, 2 new Burda patterns & 2 yards of fabric. Please tell me I'm not the only one this happens to. 

I can't complain too much, though. Here's the end result:


Meet my version of Burda 7866. Cute, huh? This pattern has actually been on my wish list since I started sewing, but I hadn't ordered from anywhere that carried Burda pattners. When Joann started carrying them I knew it would soon be mine.

I cannot believe how quickly this baby came together. Would you believe that the front & back are all one piece?!! There are no shoulder seams. There's just one seam going up the sides & arms.  Then there's the bottom yoke, which is 2 pieces that you attach to the main piece.

I spent more time figuring out the tension on my serger & turning the 111" long belt than I did actually sewing this top. It would be a great afternoon project.

The only confusing part was attaching the neck facing.  I just ended up attaching it with my regular sewing machine (with right sides facing--using a 3/8" seam, I believe), folding it in & then top stitching it with my double needle.

Next time I sew this (and yes! there will be a next time) I'm going to deepen the neckline at least an inch. In the pictures, it's riding up (as it tends to do) and it feels a tad choking. That & I have a semi-hard time getting it over my big hair, I mean head. I think this top would be fabulous in a purple swirl print.

I love the belt, but it makes this top very un-breastfeeding friendly, so I'll probably put it aside for a bit. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love this top on you! Super job! I've been wanting to try a couple of Burda patterns as well, this being one of them. It's good to know it goes together so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall a conversation in Hancock's checkout line one day where we customers discussed how items JUMP into our carts ... especially fabrics. If I try to claim I am only going in for one or two items ... I often hear snickering or outright laughter.

    So, NO, it isn't just you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I need to do some easy to wear but smart spring blouses for work and this one would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top! And no... you are not alone. I doubt there are many who could leave with only two spools of thread.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...