Thursday, April 7, 2011

In Progress: Vogue 8669



I started on View A of Vogue 8669 (the sleeveless version). But I have plenty of fabric & decided that flutter sleeves would be a cute & easy addition.

I was wrong. Sort of. I still maintain that they will/would be a cute addition. But this seemingly simple drafting alteration has left me nearly pulling out my hair. It first went wrong when I slashed & spread clear up to the cutting line. It should have been only to the seam line. No problem-easy fix. So I re-did it. But I'm still not getting the sleeve cap to fit into the armscye. I've never had trouble setting sleeves. But to this rookie, the sleeve cap & armscye look to be two completely different shapes. Hoping that it has something to do with the way the shoulders are gathered, I tore out my basting stitches (I just basted everything to get an idea of fit and construction) and am re-doing it. Also, I gave in & ordered Don McCunn's pattern drafting book and it is on it's way to me now. Maybe it will give me a bit of insight.

V8669 is an incredibly easy pattern by itself. I certainly would have finished it long ago had I skipped the sleeves (or even used the drafted sleeves.) But now it's a matter of pride. I am simply determined to have flutter sleeves. Stay tuned. I'm not sure how this one's going to turn out. :) Worst case scenario, I will be forced to surrender and go sleeveless.

1 comment:

  1. Well at least you have the right attitude. I hope you figure out the flutter sleeves, it looks like it would be a cute addition to the shirt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...