Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Non-Stasher No Longer....



Oh boy. I just added up all the fabric yardage that is on it's way to me. And, lemme just say. My days of not having a fabric stash are over. Finite. Gone.

Granted, I have very specific plans (and patterns) for each yard. I do. Never mind the fact that I have never sewn any of these patterns so whether or not they will work out for their intended purposes is anybody's guess.

They were all on sale. All but 3 yards (out of the 19 total. NINETEEN. GOODNESS. Somebody stop me) Total amount spent....$114 including shipping. That's about $6 a yard. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess it's pretty good if it's all quality stuff. Time will tell. There goes my 'housewife' allowance* for the next little while.

Ten of those yards are specifically for the Endless Combinations contest. The rest? Well, Fashionista Fabrics has some really great items on clearance. I decided it would be a good time to try them out--even if shipping did cost me an extra $10. I have some tweed, wool suitings, cotton gauze, and a bunch of knits coming. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to sew knits. :)

Also en route to yours truly is a roll of Swedish Tracing Paper. Since this stuff is sewable, I'm hoping it will cut down on my need for muslins in some cases. But if not I'll be glad to have something more durable to trace my patterns onto.

I will have to make one trip to Joann before the contest starts, I think to get my notions. And then there is preparing the fabric & tracing my patterns. And reading through the instructions. And then I'll be ready. I'm so excited to get started.

Photobucket
*For the record--this is my term for it, not my husband's. I handle the finances so in theory I could spend as much I want & get away with it. But that's just not my style. :)

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I LOVE Calvin & Hobbes!! I have the comic book and everything!

    Second, all that fabric sounds glorious!!

    Third, you will LOVE the tracing paper when you get it. I have not used it to make a muslin yet, but it is awesome stuff.

    And lastly, I think you will find Sandra Betzina's More Fabric Savvy an invaluable resource when you go to sew all those different fabrics. You can find it at your local library.

    Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Swedish Tracing Paper. Where did you buy it? I've just started tracing patterns onto wax paper, although I don't think that it's very flexible, so to "tissue fit," I'd need to trace it onto something else. That's a lot of tracing.

    Did you see that there is a sew-along beginning on Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing? I just bought the pattern. It was around $18 and I feel a little guilty since we just spent mucho money on car repairs. Luckily, I control the finances too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa-Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to check it out.

    Amy-I got the tracing paper from Amazon. I was hoping to get it from fabric.com (to save on shipping) but they didn't carry it. I'm hoping it will work well for tissue fitting. Oh, and I did see that Gertie was doing a sew along. I don't know if I'll be able to sew along since it falls during the contest, but I do really like the pattern. Maybe I'll give it a go after the contest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...