Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

From Seamstress in Training to Sophisticated Seams

I know I've been MIA lately--and I have been sewing! Just not for me :)  Awhile back I mentioned that I had started sewing for some of the gals on a forum I'm on.  And shortly after that, I revamped the blog from Seamstress in Training to Sophisticated Seams. I thought I'd share what's been going on behind the scenes. :)  This is going to get long...and include a lot of pictures. :)

Back in August, a friend approached me to design and sew a custom bag for her--using changing pads from her favorite diaper bags. As you can imagine, there was a lot of planning.  And since we were using changing pads, all the pattern pieces had to be just the right size.  So I made a prototype & sent it to her.

It was just what she was hoping for, so we moved on to the actual purse.  Here's the final product that I finished in December.


So, fast forward to recently & I had a request to make the same bag using different changing pads.  I received the materials at the beginning of the month & I have finally completed another bag.  This one has additional slip pockets on the back. 

(The fabric used for these bags are from Ju-Ju-Be diaper bag changing pads. Both prints, Purple Paisley & Blue Bouquet are now discontinued.)


So that's why the blog switched over to "Sophisticated Seams".  Though now that I'm back to focusing on sewing for me and not as a business I'm having a bit of an identity crisis.

29 Weeks & counting
So with this bag, I'm officially on maternity leave!! Next up: a diaper bag (for myself!), a coming home outfit & a maxi skirt...or five.

4 comments:

  1. Those bags are amazing!! You are so talented! I can't believe u are on maternity leave already!! Best wishes with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bags! Have fun with your upcoming projects!
    I don't know how you are able to accommodate sewing/crafting with 2 lo at home and one on the way ... kuddos to you!
    Any tips ;-)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely custom bag. I am also contemplating on doing something like this - simple but functional design. Will you be willing to share patterns and tips for me to embark on a project similar to yours? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely custom bag. I am also contemplating on doing something like this - simple but functional design. Will you be willing to share patterns and tips for me to embark on a project similar to yours? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...