Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Finished! Megan Nielsen Wrap Top
For the "Nuthin' but the facts, ma'am" version of this review, feel free to pop over to my official PR review. :)
This project came together super fast, but I procrastinated on it quite a bit. I was really intimidated by cutting out the long (LONG) fabric pieces. Three yards!! Three yards of fabric for the wrap ties! They were longer than my cutting mats allowed, so I had to do some of the cutting with scissors. And I hate cutting with scissors. But it was totally worth it. :)
And then, I procrastinated a bit more because I didn't want to deal with my serger. Now, I usually don't mind re-threading the thing. It's kind of the nature of the beast. But recently I've been having a really hard time finding the correct tension...and many times I'm not even completely satisfied with it but I continue on anyway. Then it dawned on me that there are many, many sewists that construct their knit garments completely on the sewing machine. So that's what I did. And it worked great. And I've finished two more knit tops on my sewing machine. I even did a white top...and my serger actually already had white thread in it!!! Poor, neglected serger.
After I ordered my fabric, I started to doubt that I'd make another one of these. Why?? The yardage requirement. You need 4 yards of fabric. It cost me $33 with shipping for this brown rayon from High End Fabrics. The $33 plus the $15 cost of the pattern equals more (much more) than I would spend on a maternity top. And then, lo & behold...lookee what I found:
A bargain at $115 (the long sleeve version is $125). I don't spend that much money on...well, anything wardrobe related. But, it is listed as one of their best sellers, and I've seen a few bloggers that have purchased this top. Either way, I love that I just made up a "designer knock off" top for 1/2 of what it would have cost to buy. So that's pretty neat.
As for the pattern itself, I cannot recommend it enough. It comes together very quickly & is well drafted. I did have problems with the back shoulder seam being wider than the front, but the pattern pieces themselves line up so I must've been the problem.It came together very quickly (aside from my procrastination). The only change I made was to stabilize the shoulder seams & I also sewed the sleeves in flat.
I had decided early on that I wasn't going to hem all 3 yards of the sashes, but I did decide to hem them neckline & sleeves. I hemmed 26" from the shoulder seams down the sashes. Since the hemmed part of the sashes is hidden under the un-hemmed sashes, the top still looks cohesive.