After the disaster that was my black linen skirt, I needed a pick me up. I was thumbing through my fabric stash & found this funky print that I had bought last summer for a maxi dress that never came to fruition (shakes fist at Fall) and look! It matches my color scheme! It matches this baby blue top, a me-made brown top (to be blogged) and a white top that is currently on my sewing table. I almost never buy RTW printed skirts because I never have tops to wear with them.
I used a knit skirt with a fold over waistband as my starting point. I tried it on & it fit ok. I added an inch to the hips & a couple inches to the hem. It doesn't hit in the most flattering spot on my legs, but the extra length is necessary when you've got a wiggly toddler on your lap. :)
I lined it using a 40 Denier tricot that I had stashed & I'm so glad I did. The fabric is just thin enough to be right "on the line" of wearable sans slip. Now I don't have to worry at all about it being see-through & it lays so much better!
The skirt came together in a single afternoon...that is, until I got to the hem. I decided I wanted a 1/4" hem which is a bit of a challenge even without fiddly fabric. Since the skirt is polyester, it didn't take too kindly to pressing. So, I took out my good old water soluble fabric glue (I know, how couture of me!) and slapped it together. Of course, the hem looked awful. And the glue was dry so not only did I have to rip my stitches, but I also had to throw it in the washer to get rid of the glue. Eeep! Once that was all said & done I said "uncle" and went ahead with a regular ol' double turned 5/8" hem. :) And it looks much better than my attempt at a narrow hem.