Thursday, January 9, 2014
After some pouting and a whole lot of rummaging, I decided to just take advantage of this conundrum. I've been wanting to delve a bit into drafting & making design changes to TNTs. So this was a great opportunity. I started out with the very popular t-shirt view New Look 6735 and set out to add the neckline gathers. I asked the opinions of more qualified seamstresses, and I also found this video.
First I traced the pattern in my size (or what I hoped would be my size). Then I traced the bottom portion onto freezer paper and then I pivoted my pattern piece beneath the armscye.I moved it about an inch at the CF, and truth be told I was really worried about the changed neckline shape, but figured that (in theory) that gathering would pull it back to its shape...more or less.
Here's how my new pattern piece compared:
And then I got to thinking about other ways to dress up a basic tee. I eventually decided to gather the sleeve caps. I used the instructions for the at clothingpatterns101.com. First I traced my pattern on to freezer paper and removed the seam allowances, just to ensure that I didn't mess those up. :) I never really realized how much space those 5/8" seam allowances take up.
And then I sliced & spread. I probably have sliced the same distance from the center dot on each side, but it turned out ok in this instance.
After that I traced my new pattern & added the seam allowances back.
I only had 1 yard of fabric for my final top, so I made a practice sleeve & armscye from some scraps to check my drafting and it turned out great.
I should have pictures of the final project next week, it's just waiting to be hemmed now.