I'm off to a miserably bad start with my SWAP. I picked out a cheap, polyester suiting from Joann Fabrics for my Hollyburn & it shows. It just looks all wrong. I'll be saving the zipper but trashing the skirt.
And as for my Red Velvet Dress. Yeah. That was just one disaster after another.
Firstly, had I realized the dress
featured facings, I never would have bought it. I have no love for facings, particularly in knits. And throughout the sewalong Steph (the pattern designer) reiterated time & time again how easy this particular neckline was to stretch & distort. Which made me nervous.
I hemmed &
hawed and finally worked up the courage to draft my own binding. Which
was successful! THEN the pattern designer said some rather ugly things
on Debbie Cook's blog & that totally robbed me of my motivation to
continue participating in her sew along. Yick.
Then I hated the
bust pleats. But I decided they were well camouflaged in the print of my
fabric & continued on. Then the "scissor" pleat looked silly (I think this was an issue with me rather than the pattern).
Whatever. But now I am blissfully in the final stretch--hemming.
I've run out of thread. Completely. After hemming one sleeve. I don't
even have "this will do" color. Nearest notions shop is an hour away.
So I think it's time to call it quits. Despite the fact that the dress would have been wearable, I've just got too much resentment built up toward it I think. It will likely end up as a dress for my 3 year old daughter.
So that's 2 wadders in a row. But my Minoru is still fabulous, so I've got that to hang on to :) I keep using that as proof to myself that I can, indeed sew.
On to the next thing, then! I'm going back to the land of knit tops for now. :)